LBJ Admits Blackmailing Earl Warren?

Knowing the truth about the Kennedy Assassination is understanding America today.

Moderators: kenmurray, dankbaar, Bob, Dealey Joe

LBJ Admits Blackmailing Earl Warren?

Postby Tom Bigg » Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 pm

On Gary North's site a member posted the following surprizing assertion that Senator Russell of Georgia recorded LBJ admitting to him that he actually blackmailed Justice Earl Warren into heading the inquiry into the assassination commission:

"LBJ also blackmailed Earl Warren, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, to head the Warren Commission. Warren had years before committed some sexual sin on a trip to Mexico; J. Edgar Hoover, an LBJ ally, had tape recordings of this sexual encounter that, obviously, if released would shred Warren's lofty reputation and end his professional and social life. LBJ twice asked Warren to head the commission and Warren twice refused. Concerning the third such "offer", LBJ can be heard on tape describing the incident to his mentor, career guardian and close friend, Richard Russell of Georgia. Russell routinely taped all his phone conversations for official records and memoirs (and probably for his own protection). LBJ explained to Russell that when Warren again refused to head the investigative commission, LBJ pointed out that he had tapes of Warren's departure from his marriage, in lurid detail, which he'd release to the press of Warren didn't cooperate. Warren can be heard crying, and exclaiming "Please Please don't. I'll do whatever you want. Whatever you want." LBJ was laughing about this in his phone conversation with Russell of Georgia--publically esteemed Grand Old Man and Dean of the U.S. Senate. Presumeably, this was not the first such revelation of LBJ to his mentor, Russell, whose "public reputation" was one of moral uprightness and integrity."

This individual recommends "Family of Secrets" by Russell Baker.

Gary North was surprized by this fellow's information. Does any one here know if this is credible?
Tom Bigg

Re: LBJ Admits Blackmailing Earl Warren?

Postby Alex Hidell » Wed May 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Not sure of the veracity of this account but it sounds EXACTLY like something LBJ would do.

Remember, the real name of the WC was "The President's Commission on the JFK Assassination"

So truth be told, it should have been called the "LBJ Commission", right.
Alex Hidell

Postby Tom Bigg » Tue May 24, 2011 5:07 pm

This is the reference:

Hunter wrote:
A description of Johnson's phone conversation with Senator Richard Russell of Georgia
about LBJ's blackmailing Warren to head the investigative commission begins on page 46 of
Russell Baker's book, "Family of Secrets". The source of the tape recording was
the White House recording system, not Senator Russell's, as I erroneously stated earlier.
The source referenced by Baker for this recording is "Michael R. Beschloss, 'Taking
Charge: the Johnson White House Tapes, 1963-1964' (New York, Simon and Schuster, 1997)
page 72."

Here is the quotation attributed to LBJ in his phone conversation with Richard Russell,
apparently taken from the White House tapes, through the source listed above:

"Warren told me he wouldn't do it under any circumstances...He came down here and
told me no, twice. And I just pulled out what (FBI director) Hoover told me about a
little incident in Mexico City...and he started crying and he said, "I won't turn
you down. I'll just do whatever you say."

I created in my imgination the scene of LBJ laughing about this to Russell, and somewhere
along the line assumed that the FBI had tapes of Warren's "little incident",
which I would guess was a sexual escapade. I read a long Robert Barro biography of
Johnson years ago that cemented in my mind LBJ's twisted and cruel nature.

To view this message, visit GaryNorth.com Suggest topics for my on at
<http://www.garynorth.com/members/forum/openthread.cfm?forum=33&ThreadID=18438#110498 &
gt;
Tom Bigg

Postby Tom Bigg » Tue May 24, 2011 5:09 pm

This was Gary North's response:

GaryNorth wrote:
Beschloss is a serious historian. This incident belongs in the college textbooks
Tom Bigg

Return to Who shot JFK, and why?