MARTIN SCORSESE'S NEW FILM: "THE IRISHMAN" AND JIMMY HOFFA:

Knowing the truth about the Kennedy Assassination is understanding America today.

Moderators: Bob, Phil Dragoo, Dealey Joe, kenmurray, dankbaar

Re: MARTIN SCORSESE'S NEW FILM: "THE IRISHMAN" AND JIMMY HO

Postby bobspez » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:46 am

kenmurray wrote:Jim DiEugenio reviews the movie "The Irishman" and says it is A Crushing Disappointment:

https://kennedysandking.com/articles/th ... VeVckq8u50

Link just brings up a blank white page.
bobspez

Postby kenmurray » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:43 pm

Here is the link that is now been corrected.....

https://kennedysandking.com/articles/pa ... e-irishman
kenmurray

Postby bobspez » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:10 am

Thanks, interesting reviews of the book and the movie. The upshot is the book is not historically accurate, and the movie is not even accurate to the book. But what movie is? It's called artistic license, and has always existed in semi historical movies. People who have been part of history often report many omissions and slanted or inaccurate representations in written accounts, and especially in movies made from the accounts. Even documentaries are not objective, they project the movie maker's point of view, and the versions of people they interview, and the movie makers change or omit things they didn't discover or learn about or choose not to divulge. At root, a movie is a business deal, and making money is the goal for any Hollywood production. Especially when movie makers are of a different generation than the characters they are portraying, they often just don't get it right. Oliver Stone gets it. I think there's more truth in his fictional movies than in most documentaries. Ken Burns doesn't get it, he's giving us the sugar coated version of things. I guess Scorsese doesn't really get the mob and the cops either, two different sides of the same coin. The recent HBO series The Deuce got it. Just ask anyone who was there. I'll watch The Irishman when it comes to cable TV. Not to learn anything, but because De Niro is an entertaining actor.

kenmurray wrote:Here is the link that is now been corrected.....

https://kennedysandking.com/articles/pa ... e-irishman
bobspez

Postby bobspez » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:51 am

Saw the movie yesterday and today on Netflix. I somewhat wish I hadn't. At 3-1/2 hours I had to split it into two viewings. Basically a very depressing movie for a person in their 70's to watch. Regardless of historical accuracy, whether Sheeran only disposed of Hoffa's body rather than shoot Hoffa, I got the feeling that Hoffa made out better than those involved in his execution. They all wound up as pathetic broken men one way or the other. Maybe this was true Karma. The movie seemed like a sort of flip side of The Bronx Tale, the senior citizen years. Maybe Scorsese meant it as a sort of morality tale, with old age being the hand of justice, if so it was done heavily handed, as I'm sure some murderers die happily in their beds in wealth and luxury, with adoring families surrounding them. Dictator Franco of Spain definitely did.
bobspez

Previous

Return to Who shot JFK, and why?